Position Title: Executive Director
About the Montana Innocence Project: Founded in 2008 and based at the Alexander Blewett III School of Law at the University of Montana, the Montana Innocence Project (MTIP) is a statewide 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with two core missions:
- Exonerate the innocent; and
- Prevent wrongful convictions.
MTIP is a member of the Innocence Network, an affiliation of 68 organizations from all over the world dedicated to providing pro bono legal and investigative services to individuals seeking to prove innocence of crimes for which they have been convicted, and working to redress the causes of wrongful convictions. Currently, the Innocence Network consists of 55 U.S. based and 13 non-U.S. based organizations.
Position Summary: The Executive Director is the visionary and operational leader of MTIP and is responsible for the management and oversight of all administrative, financial, and programmatic functions of MTIP. The Executive Director is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to achieve the long-term goals of the organization, as set by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director reports to MTIP’s Board of Directors. The position is based in MTIP’s Missoula office.
Job Duties Include:
- Promote achievement of the mission and vision of the organization.
- Direct and supervise work on MTIP priority issues.
- Foster leadership, professional growth, and expertise among MTIP staff.
- Represent MTIP at local, state, and national events, and as a media spokesperson.
- Partner with the Board of Directors to lead strategic planning, when necessary.
Administration and Compliance
- Lead support in improving internal controls and operations procedures.
- Oversee development and administration of office policies and procedures and office administration, including filing and archiving systems.
- Lead calendaring and other logistics support for program events and key organizational deadlines.
- Serve as liaison for all administrative relationships (law school, UM, businesses, etc).
- Maximize use of appropriate software and technology within the MTIP office; identify and help address technology needs.
- Oversee marketing and outreach materials for all MTIP work.
- Ensure MTIP’s presence on the web, social media, traditional media, and other public relations outlets.
- Ensure compliance with administrative and legal responsibilities, including nonprofit, federal, and state requirements.
- Hire, lead, mentor, and support MTIP staff and administer personnel policies.
Fundraising and Financials
- Develop and implement a diverse annual fundraising plan.
- Serve as public face of MTIP for major donor relationships and all events.
- Continuously cultivate new donors and steward current donors.
- Research, write, and prepare grant applications and reports.
- Manage the development of and compliance with the operating budget, as approved by the Board of Directors.
- With bookkeeper, pay, process, file and track all bills and invoices in QuickBooks, maintain QuickBooks company file, and reconcile QuickBooks accounts with bank statements.
- With bookkeeper, administer payroll and benefits.
- With bookkeeper, administer insurance policies and benefits policies , including health plan and organizational insurance policies.
Board of Directors
- Provide regular updates on projects and programs to the Board President; Ensure President, Officers, or full board is apprised of issues as needed.
- Provide staff support to the Board of Directors. This includes preparing agendas with the Executive Committee, organizing quarterly board meetings, preparing Board packets, typing minutes and additional documents as required, coordinating board committee work, and other committee tasks as needed.
- Present oral reports, address questions, and lead discussions.
- Oversee MTIP policy and culture change work, including before state and local government bodies.
- Participate in or speak at forums, educational programs, and community meetings, promoting MTIP’s policy agenda.
- Track, measure, and evaluate the outcomes of MTIP’s advocacy.
Qualification and skills
- Strong commitment to the mission of MTIP.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s or J.D. preferred.
- Must be highly motivated, a self-starter, and team player.
- Have the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Proven fundraising success for a minimum of three years.
- Strong policy, advocacy, and/or lobbying background.
- Commitment to and understanding of systemic policy reforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel, as necessary.
Salary and Benefits: This full-time position offers a competitive non-profit salary and benefits package.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please write “Executive Director” in the subject line.
MTIP values an inclusive and diverse workforce. MTIP encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion,gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.