The Montana Innocence Project will host a free Zoom training on forensic DNA on April 2 from 10 a.m. – noon led by Boise State University Forensic Justice Project Director and Idaho Innocence Project Co-Director, Dr. Greg Hampikian. The training is open to all and has been approved by the State Bar of Montana for two general CLE/CJE credits and the Montana POST Council for 2 POST credits.
Participants will learn the components of DNA analysis and how to review forensic DNA reports. Emphasis will be placed on common errors in DNA processing and new investigative opportunities including genealogy, single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis, and probabilistic genotyping.
Dr. Hampikian has worked on hundreds of cases across America and overseas. His lab at Boise State University is best known for work on more than three dozen exonerations—several of which led to new DNA-matched suspects, which was the case in the exonerations of MTIP clients Fred Lawrence and Paul Jenkins.
How to register: Email email@example.com to register for this training. Please provide your full name and bar number if you are attending for CLE credits and your full name and agency if you are attending for POST credits.
Suggested Donation: $50.00
MTIP and IIP are happy to bring you this free training; however, donations to the Montana Innocence Project in support of its work to free the innocent and prevent wrongful convictions are greatly appreciated. Click here to make a donation.
Videos suggested by Dr. Hampikian to watch in preparation for the training:
1. Colbert and Jerry Miller
2. Amanda Knox before appeal
3. Collection of bra clasp from the Victim, Meredith Kercher, who Amanda Knox was wrongly convicted of killing dropbox.com/s/v70qnz0c39a4dcs/2%20BraClaspCollection%20%282.40%2C%201.30floor%29.mp4?dl=0
4. Waiting for the verdict in Knox case dropbox.com/s/w6npdirmykbna7b/3%20Brooke%20WaitingforVerdict%284%2C00%29.mp4?dl=0
5. Knox appeal, verdict dropbox.com/s/u2421zvyicktek1/4%20KNOXAmandaFREE%281%2C44%29.mp4?dl=0
6. Itiel Dror on Fingerprints, and Cognitive Bias dropbox.com/s/9ggacfn4dbp1meh/5%20DrorFrontline%283%2C56%292012FingerprintBias.mp4?dl=0
7. DNA Mix Ups, TedX youtube.com/watch?v=Lw-zyoYlIsA
9. Kerry Robinson Free
10. Montana Innocence Project Jenkins and Lawrence dropbox.com/s/75fz5uzs0v408ay/11%20Jenkins%20and%20Lawrence%20hearing%20in%20Meagher%20murder%20case.mp4?dl=0